Ankle Surgery Risks and Complications
The following are possible Risks and Complications associate with traditional ankle surgeries.
Risk of infection
both after ankle surgery as well as later if you have metal or plastic implants, bacteria in the blood can “seed” and grow on the prosthesis.
Other Risks and Complications associated with Ankle Surgery
- Risk of Blood Clots in the legs (DVT) and/ or lungs (PE)
- Painful Post surgical recovery
- Prolonged rehabilitation.
- Chronically limited range of motion, pain, decreased activity level, or pain in other parts of the foot due to new stresses created by the surgical repair.
- Nerve damage from the procedure leading to chronic numbness, weakness, and/or pain.